HUNTINGTON, Ind. (FDN) — On Monday, September 12 at 2:00pm, police were called to County Road 200 East with reports of a UTV accident. Jerry Landrum was heading northbound on C.R. 200 when he struck a culvert on the side of the road. Landrum was then thrown from his UTV and pinned underneath it.
Four passing Samaritans stopped and freed him before police showed up. Landrum was taken to Lutheran Hospital in Fort Wayne with reports of shoulder and rib injuries. FDN’s Randi Orr and Shelby Price tried contacting Landrum to follow up on his injuries, but we received no response.
We also met with Trea Kiefer, HU’s Simulation Lab Coordinator, to talk to her about what to do when you come upon the scene of an accident. These are the steps she suggests that everyone should take:
- Call 911
- Make sure the area is safe and secure before approaching the accident.
- Determine if the victim is responsive.
- Identify their injuries. If there is blood apply pressure to those areas.
- Stabilize the head and neck.
- Keep the injured person talking
- Stay calm and get out of the way when emergency personnel arrive.